What Elizabeth Warren’s Lead in the Polls Means for the Female Voter

When I was in the first grade, each student had the opportunity to make an “All About Me Poster”. We included things like our favorite foods, how tall we were, and what our family looked like. Now, I was in no way an outgoing child. I clung to my mom’s leg when confronted with people I’d never met and speaking in front of others and being in charge were two of my biggest fears. The last box on the poster was a spot to draw a picture of what we wanted to be when we grew up. At the bottom of my poster, there was a magic marker drawing of a little red-headed girl standing at a podium with a bunch of microphones. I wanted to be the president of the United States.

My first-grade image of what I wanted my life to look like has since changed, but the idea behind it has not. I have been fortunate enough to grow up with strong female role models such as my mom, grandmother, and even my little sister. I am constantly encouraged to pursue my dreams, no matter how scary they may be; however, I have always felt that there was something missing. In the 243 years that the United States of America has existed, we have never had a female president. Maybe, if this wasn’t the case, my career goal wouldn’t have stopped after first grade and there would be other girls with similar dreams who feel brave enough to chase them. Maybe there’s a strong possibility that this all-male streak of presidents will end in the near future. 

The results of a Quinnipiac University poll released this past Wednesday show that Senator Elizabeth Warren has a lead over former Vice President Joe Biden. Out of the Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents who were surveyed, majority said they would put Warren as their first choice to run against President Trump in 2020.

This is not the first time that the Democratic party has favored a female candidate for the nomination. In 2016, Hillary Clinton was nominated to run against Donald Trump in the general election, and ultimately lost; however, this was a monumental moment for women. Clinton was the first woman to receive a nomination from any major party.

The current field of candidates includes five women and two women of color. This alone is encouraging, especially for women and young girls who want to pursue a career in politics. In addition, the fact that Warren has a lead over her fellow male candidates means much more. Like many others, especially women, Elizabeth Warren gives me hope. What furthers that sense of hope is the fact that I can now see that others feel the same way.

Warren’s lead in this major poll is not a very large one, in fact, it is within the margin of error. Despite this, Biden’s lead has been diminishing as of late and Warren’s has been growing. Not only does her lead give the female voter hope that change will soon come, it shows everyone that any person can make a difference if they believe in their cause strongly enough.

The 2020 presidential election will only be the second time that I am able to vote, and that makes me all the more excited. Warren’s lead in the polls gives voters a sense of drive to go out and change the world for the better. I can only imagine the number of little girls that will soon want to be the next president and I hope it’s because they have a role model to look up to.