Word to the Wise: Benefits of Exercise

Bruno Nascimento
A person climbing stairs in gray and orange sneakers.

Exercise is important for everyone of all ages and genders.

Examples of some exercise that can improve your health are going for a walk, running, playing soccer with a friend, basketball, yoga, etc. Anything that makes you get up and move your body for at least 30 minutes a day can improve and stabilize your health.

An important benefit of exercise is improved brain health and memory. Physical activity raises blood flow throughout the whole body, boosts decision making skills, improves memory, provides new nerve growth in the brain, and improves multitasking and planning.

Another benefit of is the reduction of body fat, blood pressure, and risk of chronic disease. Exercise reduces risk of chronic conditions such as obesity, Type 2 diabetes, heart disease, some cancers, anxiety, and depression.

Lastly, exercise boosts energy and serotonin levels and improves overall mood. It can also boost the immune system, improve sleep quality and reduce physical pain.

Daily exercise has more positives than it does negatives. All you need to do is find the motivation to maintain this healthy habit. Find an activity you enjoy and work and practice at that exercise everyday and you will start to see and feel the difference!