Indigenous People’s Day

Indigenous People’s Day

The city of Portland, Oregon just proclaimed October 14th as Indigenous People’s Day. According to officeholidays.com, there are currently twenty-five states that do not observe Columbus Day, twenty-four states that still do, and there are ten that have actually changed the name to Indigenous People’s Day or Native American Day.

I’m wondering when Massachusetts will stop observing Columbus Day and officially rename the holiday to Indigenous People’s Day as well. Massachusetts was one of the original thirteen colonies and has always been on the forefront with many things. But why are they lagging behind when it comes to making the decision to change the name of Columbus Day? 

To me, Monday, October 14th, 2019 should be celebrated by honoring those that came before us. It should be a day for remembering the struggles that Native Americans have endured. We should take the time to look at their contributions to this land and to honor their role in American history.

Let’s use this day to remember how the land once was in all its splendor with green landscapes, beautiful mountain ranges, crisp and clean air, and deer and bison roaming freely.  When I imagine how things once were, I think of the Native American saying, “Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children.  We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.”  I want to take this time to embrace life and respect mother Earth. What better time than on this day?

You may be thinking that it would be wonderful to celebrate Indigenous People’s Day, but you are not quite sure how to. Lucky for you, I have some great ideas from Bustle.com, courtesy of an article written by Kyli Rodriguez-Cayro.

Her list suggests participating in cultural appreciation, donating to Indigenous People’s rights organizations, attending vigils, rallies, and other events that native activists organize, purchasing art from Native Americans, and to not just celebrate Indigenous People’s Day, but also actively disavow Columbus Day.

Hopefully this gives you a little more insight into Indigenous People’s Day, and I’ll leave you with the following quote.

“Let us live in peace and harmony to keep the land and all life in balance. Only prayer and meditation can do that.” -Thomas Banyacya, Hopi Elder