Hypnotism at Westfield State

I am here to say that hypnosis is not a scam.

Let me clarify. Way back in September, I was hanging out with my roommates when we came upon the lounge room on our floor. There was a good amount of people in there and we were bored, so we decided to go in. Once we arrived, we were greeted by people saying that there was going to be a hypnotist later that evening. They asked my roommates and I if we wanted to join in on the fun, and being the curious person I am, I agreed right away.

Now, I know what you may be thinking; that I am dumb for blindly agreeing to be hypnotized and that I was putting myself in danger. That is false. I wouldn’t have done it if I was by myself or in a more private place like a dorm. It was also in a visible area and there were about 10-15 other people in the room. I met the hypnotist that night and I had various sources tell me that he was a trustworthy person and was not going to ‘scam’ me. There were about six of us hypnotized, and I had my roommates with me, one of whom was the amongst the six mentioned. She stated that she “wasn’t skeptical at all, I was so excited I didn’t think twice about it”.

The actual process felt like a dream. I remember being convinced that my shoelaces were snakes and that they were going to attack me. I screamed loudly every time the hypnotist snapped, and would go right to my shoes, screeching “the snakes!”. He also had us go into a ‘deep sleep’ where he would count down from ten, and when he got to one, we would be asleep. This didn’t work on everybody, but it sure worked on me. My friends who were not hypnotized took videos and pictures as I was slumped over in my seat with my eyes closed. One of my friends was also convinced that she was a body builder and said that she felt stronger than normal while flexing.

The process itself took over an hour but it did not feel that way. We were all in a trance, so it felt like no time had passed at all. Afterwards, one person even asked when it was going to start. The hypnotist turned out to be a friend of someone on my floor and is in the process of getting certified to be a professional hypnotist. Overall, it was a very pleasant and fun experience, and something that I will remember for a long time. It was not scam.