Popeyes Crime Wave

A box of Popeyes chicken.

Over the last month, Popeyes, has gone from a typical fast food restaurant to a heated location for criminal activity between customers and even employees, all because of their new chicken sandwich.

On Nov. 3, a customer recorded an incident at a Popeyes in Texas. A young male employee was handling raw chicken behind the counter. The customer claimed the boy looked to be about nine-years-old. However, according to Child Labor Laws, the minimum age to work is 14-years-old.

The customer also claimed the establishment was very “short staffed that day,” with only one person working the register and four in the kitchen. However, being understaffed did not prove reason to employ a minor, and the employee who brought them was fired from the restaurant.

Just a day later, on Nov. 4 at a Popeyes in Maryland, another incident occurred involving two customers that ended in a fatality.

Ricoh McClain was waiting in line for the new chicken sandwich, while a young man, Kevin Tyrell Davis kept cutting people in line. McClain called Davis out for his behavior and an altercation broke out in the restaurant.

Moments later, police stated McClain stabbed Davis and fled the scene in a car with a woman. Davis was announced dead at the hospital with a stab wound to the chest.

Wednesday, after the incident McClain was arrested and charged for first and second degree murder, assault, and reckless endangerment.

The crime wave continued on Nov. 13 when over half a dozen employees from a Milwaukee Popeyes broke out into a huge fight while the restaurant was open.

A customer, Richard Fourté caught it all on camera. He claimed he noticed a lot of employees working that day and a lot of fighting words being thrown around in the kitchen.

As tensions rose Fourté took out his phone and started recording the fight that broke out in the dinning area of the restaurant. After the fighting ceased, seven employees were fired, including the manager on duty. The motive behind the fighting is still unknown.

Popeyes has been taking the incidents very seriously, and hope find solutions to the continuing hostility surrounding the company.