To All the Boys finale: Always and Forever

Lara+Jean++%28Lana+Condor%29+and+Peter+%28Noah+Centineo%29+in+a+romantic+moement.+Image+source%3A+nbcnews.com.+
Lara Jean (Lana Condor) and Peter (Noah Centineo) in a romantic moement. Image source: nbcnews.com.

To All The Boys I Loved Before started out as a book series by author Jenny Han in 2014. Four years later, the trio of books became a Netflix produced movie series, with the first debuting in 2018, and its sequel, Ps. I Still Love You, just last year.  

Now, the series has ended. The trilogy is centered around Lara Jean Covey, played by Lana Condor and her ever forming relationship with Peter Kravinsky, played by Noah Centineo. The final movie, Always and Forever centers around their senior year of high school 

I must admit that I am a snob when it comes to books being turned into movies. I read Jenny Han’s series in high school, in lieu of no relationship of my own. So, I am proud to say that these movies stayed true to their roots, and Always and Forever is no exception! 

This movie does incorporate the Covey family, made up of Lara Jean, her sisters: older sister Margo, played by Janel Parrish and younger sister, Kitty played by Anna Cathcart and their dad, played by John Corbett and his soon to be wife, Trina played by Sarayu Blue. 

One thing that I would like to point out about this movie is how it is one of the only romantic comedies to have an Asian American as the protagonist. Lara Jean and her sisters’ culture is not erased- the movie shows their family trip to Korea, where their late mother was from. There are also no stereotypes portrayed because of race either in any of the films.  

Another main point of the film was their class trip to New York City. This is important for many reasons: it is where Lara Jean decides to go to NYU instead of a school closer to Peter; Standford, where he is playing lacrosse, and is where she discovers herself. It is also what deters her and Peter’s relationship as well.  

This is the central conflict in the film. It is a little more than just Lara Jean going further away for college, it is also Peter’s feelings getting hurt, which leads to something that I would consider a spoiler. 

This leads to their prom, which is also a focal point of the movie to be a bit “bumpy”.

But, in the end everything is good for both Lara Jean and Peter. They agree to follow their dreams, but still stay together. What started out as a fake relationship, a troupe that has been done many times, turns into a great love and strong bond between the pair.