Massachusetts COVID Reopening Update

Charlie Baker announced on Thursday that Massachusetts will move forward in its COVID-19 reopening plan. Photo courtesy of Pat Greenhouse/ The Boston Globe and boston.com

Concerts and game days are coming…slowly but surely.

Governor Baker and his administration announced that as of next Monday, Massachusetts will shift into Step 2 Phase 3 of the COVID reopening plan as cases and other data have been trending in the right direction.

The goal of this step is to ease the economic pressure that has been put on businesses, and to allow Massachusetts to get the economy going in the right direction.

What will this mean for everyone?

First, it means that a lot of larger indoor venues will be able to reopen at 50% capacity with a maximum of 500 people. These large venues include concert halls and theaters.

Also, other activities such as laser tag, roller skating, trampoline parks, and other indoor workout courses can reopen at 50% capacity.

This announcement is also great news for restaurants. They will no longer have a capacity limit, but must still follow the six-feet social distancing requirement. However, no more than six people will be allowed per table, and dining time will be limited to 90 minutes. Restaurants will also be allowed to host musical performances again.

During this time, the government still encourages people to wear their masks and avoid contact outside their immediate household to prevent any spread of COVID-19. All travel rules remain the same.

Later, on March 22 the state will advance into Stage 2 Phase 4, which is the final reopening phase. Capacity for private parties, like cookouts, will remain at a maximum of 25 people and indoor gatherings will have a maximum of 10 people.

This is also good news for sports fans. Indoor and outdoor stadiums, arenas, and ballparks will be at a strict 12% capacity limit.

Additionally, the distribution of vaccines is encouraging many businesses to prepare for a strong tourism season this spring and summer.