Call Me by Your Name Review

Call Me by Your Name Review

By Josh Martinez

The year is 1983 in Northern Italy. The main character, Elio, is played by Timothee Chalamet. Elio is a 17-year-old Jewish American-Italian boy living with his parents in Italy. Elio is an introverted musical genius. His father is a professor of archaeology; every summer they invite a student to come study and live with them. This summer, they invite a Jewish-American grad student named Oliver, played by Armie Hammer, to stay with them. From Oliver’s arrival to his departure, the relationship between he and Elio develops and evolves.

The film is a journey through the summer as two young men fall in love. It deals with the confusing complexities of love and self-acceptance. Chalamet’s portrayal of the young Elio is wonderfully authentic as he conveys the awkward experience of being a teenager and exploring their sexuality. Chalamet shows an uncanny vulnerability that isn’t typically well-rendered in portrayal of teens on film. Where Chalamet is vulnerable, Hammer is not; he gives Oliver an air of mystery. As Oliver grows throughout the film there is a sense of what he is feeling and thinking, but there is still a layer of ambiguity.

The film is directed by Luca Guadagnino of Italy. Mostly known for directing foreign films, Call Me By Your Name is his first “big stone” thrown in the Hollywood pond. The film is an exceptional way to introduce his point-of-view into the American market. The way the film is shot is beautiful; between scenes of them interacting and playing volleyball to more intimate of scenes, a shot never feels like “too much”. I suggest this movie to everyone who truly enjoys film.