Growl Power: Black Panther Review

Growl Power: Black Panther Review

By Josh Martinez

The film opens in Oakland, California: not exactly where you would expect the movie to start. In an urban area, kids play basketball. Cut to inside an apartment we see two men discuss unspecified arms deals. Soon after the Dora Milaje, an all female Wakandan warrior group who serve the king, arrive at their door. From the first scene casts the pebble to begin the ripple effect.

Jump forward to present day and the film takes place directly after the events of the last Captain America movie. King T’Challa returns home to the African nation of Wakanda. On the outside, Wakanda is a poor village surrounded by mountains and a dense jungle. However, that is furthest from the truth; Wakanda is a technological marvel. They are ahead of the world technologically because they sit upon a massive stone of vibranium; an element more valuable and more useful than gold.

There are both a main villain and a main antagonisnt in this film. The villain is Ulysses Klaue. He is the villain because he seeks to drain Wakanda of its resources in order to conquer the free world. His plot draws on a direct parallel to what people have done to the continent of Africa for hundreds of years.

Klaue is working with the antagonist Erik Killmonger. Killmonger is more of an antagonist than villain because he is not seeking to destroy Wakanda, but he wants to liberate them from the shadows and put them in the forefront as a powerful nation. It goes against the policies and beliefs that Wakanda currently hold. He has a deeper connection to the African nation and the throne that is explored through the movie, making him the “anti-hero.” Killmonger is portrayed by Michael B. Jordan, who shows off his acting ability by combining the intellect and anger the character possesses.

The movie has more amazing actors in it, mainly the women who have garnered major attention. First is Lupita Nyong’o who plays Nakia. She is T’Challa’s love interest in the movie and a spy for Wakanda. She is different from the comic version of herself because in the comics she is obsessed with the king and becomes crazy from his rejection turning her into Malice. In the film she is good, although this could be used for a future Panther plot line. Nyong’o portrays a smart, strong and cunning woman who happens to have feelings for the king.

The next woman of Wakanda is the leader of the Dora Milaje, Okoye, played by Danai Gurira. She is a strong and skilled fighter whose life is devoted to protecting the king and the nation. She does have a love interest in the film, but when push comes to shove she puts country above love. Danai plays Michonne in The Walking. She brings that same je ne sais quoi to the role that fans love.

Angela Bassett plays the queen, a role she was always meant to have, in the form of T’Challa’s mother Ramonda. She wears the pride of Wakanda like a badge of honor.

T’Challa also has a sister named Shuri played by Letitia Wright. Wright is relatively new to the acting world, but she makes a splash. Shuri is a young, intelligent and hip Wakandan princess who is known to shy away from tradition. She is the head of technology and development in Wakanda. Shuri offers humor, brains, and style to the film.

The cast is lead by Chadwick Boseman and directed by Ryan Coogler, both of which just further elevate the film. Boseman has a lot of powerful roles under his belt, making T’Challa another notch. Coogler brought the world of Wakanda to life in a beautiful way; the imagery and cinematography show the African nation in an amazing way. It is all a metaphor showing the potential of the continent, had it remained untouched by “colonisers.” From the fight scenes to the dialogue, this film has a little something for everyone.