Westfield State Communication Department hosts their first in-person awards ceremony since the pandemic

Written by the Public Relations Writing class of Spring 2022.

The WSU Communication Department hosts first annual in-person awards ceremony since the COVID-19 pandemic on April 30th from 12-2pm on the Campus Green. Image credit: Public Relations Writing course of Spring 2022.

The Communication Department will be hosting their first in-person awards ceremony since the pandemic on Saturday, April 30th from 12-2pm on the Campus Green. 

Students and faculty of the department will be recognized for their hard work and achievements over the year. These students are mainly seniors who have dedicated so much of their time to the department, along with a few juniors. 

Awards include the Judith White LaFond Award, Academic Achievement awards, Classroom Citizenship awards, and Inspirational Dedication to Education awards. 

Scholarship awards include the Edwin J. Abar/Kiwanis award, the Henry Wefing Scholarship award, and the Westfield Bank and Westfield Community Radio Scholarship awards.

These awards were decided by the faculty and staff of the department, who looked for dedication and hardwork in each area of the Communication department. 

Department Chairman Tom Gardner is very excited for the upcoming event, as well as the future success of all his graduating students.  

“This is our first in-person end-of-year celebration in two years. We are excited to celebrate all of our majors, graduates, alumni and families – the beloved community known as the Communication Department. Although we will give special recognition to those who have excelled in different categories, we appreciate and honor all of our students who have persevered through some hard times and have found a path to success.” 

“We look forward to following all of our alums as they make their marks in the world,” said  Gardner. 

At the event, a lunch will be served, along with a video presentation and a guest speaker; Robert Genest, an alumni of the department. The video presentation will showcase some of the seniors and what their time at WSU was like. 

The event was planned by Lambda Pi Eta honor society and the Public Relations Writing Spring course of 2022. 

The major of communication is split into five different concentrations: Journalism, Public Relations, Media Arts & Analysis, Communication & Culture, and Student-Defined. 

# # #

Written by the PR Writing class of Spring 2022, for the Comm Dept. 2022 Awards ceremony. Not a direct representation of Westfield State University. For more information on the communication department, please visit https://www.westfield.ma.edu/academics/communication-department