My Top 5 Horror Films I Recommend: Summer 2022 Review

Image+credit%3A+Pexels.com.+
Image credit: Pexels.com.

I have gathered a list of my 5 favorite horror films that I would like to recommend. These are perfect; for early Halloween preparation or simply enjoying horror films.

#5 Plan 9 From Outer Space (1957)

This is one of the most infamous so bad its good films. As comically bad old films go, this is the one to go for. Not only is Ed Wood one of the important bad filmmakers of film history, but this film was also one of the last films Bela Lugosi ever worked on. It was made on a very low budget, and you can even see the strings that the UFOs are hung by. But I think that the corniness and tacky effects make this film even more enjoyable for me. The weird opening narration, the absurd plot of aliens reanimating the dead to get humanity to not create a bomb capable of exploding sunlight, and how the zombies move in a very stilted manner. Also, it’s just so interesting how we view movies based on when they came out, yet I think this movie has aged in both the worst and best way, as it has increased in tackiness, but also in infamy. 

#4 Freddy Vs Jason (2003)

Even though this may not be the best Nightmare On Elm Street film or the best Friday the 13th film, it is the funniest of both franchises and is the best vs movie in horror in my opinion. It also reeks of the 2000s trends of horror, with all the characters coming off as of the time. It is also just crazy to see Freddy and Jason have a full-on wrestling match and use their respective abilities against each other after Freddy used Jason to regain control over Springwood. From Jason attacking a rave, to Freddy turning into the caterpillar from Alice In Wonderland, this is the wackiest film in both franchises, yet is still entertaining. 

#3 Evil Dead: Army of Darkness (1992)

I think that this is the funniest Evil Dead film out of the three original films. The camp and absurd moments are turned up to 11, and this works in the film’s favor. Bruce Campbell is in his highest form as one of the great B-Movie actors and goes all out with the gags and laughs while also still spooking the audience. We see him possessed by a demon, fight an evil version of himself, and keep the audience dying and laughing the whole way through. 

#2 Hellraiser (1987)

When I finally watched this, it proved to be such a well-crafted and dramatic horror film, that explores so well the idea of,  “Be careful what you wish for”. The concept of the Lament Configuration, a killer Rubik’s Cube, and the demonic beings that it summons can lead to all kinds of crazy situations.  

#1 The Return of the Living Dead (1985)

This is both my favorite zombie film of all time AND my favorite horror film of all time. It not only pioneered the classic film zombie, but it also explores how in any crisis, normal people will either rise to the challenge or be destroyed by their own fears. It also is very funny for a zombie movie, like when the zombies make more emergency personnel come to be attacked, to how this is the first zombie film to have zombies actually be sentient and actually want to eat brains. I really find it so interesting as this is one of the only truly punk horror movies, as it uses a soundtrack of great punk music that fits well with its nihilistic characters, as well as most of the main characters being punks.

The characters spend the early part of the movie wanting to die, and wanting bad things to happen, and are then horrified that they actually got their wish. When I watch a horror movie, I come as much for the dark comedy of the characters making wrong choices as much as horror, and this movie really goes for it. In any end-of-the-world scenario, people revert to their base instincts and start to only fend for themselves, and each character goes through this process in the film. The warehouse employees who cause the outbreak slowly go crazy throughout the film, not only feeling guilty for what they did, yet not knowing what to do.

Also, even though this film wasn’t directed by George A. Romero, it is meant to be a sequel set in the universe of the film, where the events of Night of the Living Dead, really happened. In this way, it was also one of the first meta horror movies years before Scream and others met with great success in this same subgenre.