Sox Season Recap

The Red Sox have had a spectacular season with an 108-54 overall record. The Red Sox reached their 100th win on September 13th, when David Price pitched seven shutout innings in a 1-0 victory against The Toronto Blue Jays. The team was the first Boston team to reach this milestone since the 1946 Red Sox.

Among the best performing players this season is right fielder/designated hitter J. D Martinez who has the potential to win the Triple Crown.  J.D. Martinez will finish his season batting .330 with 43 HR and 130 RBIs. The only other Red Sox ever to hit at least .330 with 40+ HR and 130+ RBI are Hall of Famers Ted Williams and Jimmie Foxx.

The last Major League Baseball player to accomplish this impressive feat of a Triple Crown was Miguel Cabrera who did it in 2013. Besides Martinez, another player who has performed remarkably well this season is the right fielder Mookie Betts, who will  finish the season with 32 HR, 80 RBIs, and batting .346.

When it comes to pitchers few have done as well as Chris Sale.  Sale’s record for the regular season was 12-4 with an ERA of 2.11.  Yet, Sale has experienced diminished velocity as the season progressed.

As for veterans such as Dustin Pedroia, this season was short. Pedroia who has played with the Red Sox since 2006, played in a mere three games after undergoing a cartilage-restoration procedure on his left knee in October, 2017. The surgery was only expected to sideline Pedroia for two months.

He returned to the lineup in late May. However, by June 2nd, Pedroia had landed back on the disabled list, due to soreness in his left knee. Pedroia had undergone another procedure in July in an effort to clear up scar tissue, but was still unable to play for the majority of the season.

The Boston Red Sox captured the American League East title – against their arch rivals The New York Yankees on September 20th with an 11-6 victory. It took them three attempts, but in the end, they clinched the berth.

All in all the Red Sox have had an incredible season. It was historic, filled with explosive speed, a lot of home runs, and plenty of nail biting moments to keep even the most casual Red Sox fan on the edge of his or her seat.