Mookie Betts: Your AL MVP

Red Sox right fielder Mookie Betts takes home the 2018 AL MVP award after a stellar season for the league champions. One of two players this season to join the coveted 30-30 club (30 home runs, 30 steals) with MVP finalist José Ramírez of theCleveland Indians, Betts put up a monstrous statistical season with a slash line of .346/.438/.640. Few players in the league could match his consistent output, leading the league in batting average, slugging percentage, and placing second only behind generational talent Mike Trout in on base percentage.

Betts was not only fantastic at the plate this season, he was his usual dominant self defensively in right field, raking in his third gold glove since he joined the big leagues in 2014. Posting a .996 fielding percentage, Betts was as close to perfect as anyone can get out in right field. Betts flashed the leather all season, posting 272 put outs and making but one error as a right fielder this year.

Betts also showed off his arm strength, making runners pay for trying to advance on him with 7 assists when they dared to run. He was spectacular to watch all season, passing the eye test in right field with flying colors, capable of covering a huge area of the field with his swift foot speed, sure handiness, and willingness to lay out and make the diving catch. He, Jackie Bradley Jr., and Andrew Benintendi formed one of the most formidable defensive outfields the league has seen in recent memory.

Betts’ MVP is a testament to his truly remarkable season. It is no small feat to beat out Mike Trout in the league MVP voting, as the still young Angels’ phenom has been in the running since he has been in the MLB. Head to head, Trout was the only player who even came close to matching Betts’ all around brilliance. Betts firmly leadTrout in batting average, who finished fifth behind’s Astros’ Altuve with a.312 average. However, Trout did beat out Mookie in OBP by .022 points, in part due to Trout’s exceptional ability with bat, but also due to the fear his reputation brings, forcing a lot of walks (122 in 471 appearances). Trout had 9more home runs, yet Betts had more RBIs.

It’s no secret that Trout is a bigger player then Betts, so more home runs can be expected. Yet, Betts having more RBIs while hitting out of the lead off spot in his teams’ order is something of note. Trout has long since established himself as baseball’s most talented player, almost comparable to LeBron’s individual ability in his respective sport. Now, at least it seems, he has a worthy challenger in Betts; a Kevin Durant, if we extend this metaphor. A perhaps comparably talented player on a juggernaut team, these two should be foes for the rest of their careers.

Betts stupendous season was integral to the Red Sox’ team success. Without his all-around brilliance, who knows how the team may have fared in the regular season. That’s not to say the team would not still be talented without him; this team is loaded. However,Betts is the perfect superstar for this squad. He is low maintenance, he is friendly and a selfless member of the community. Betts is the perfect leader for this unit, somebody that leads by example, while all the other uber talented players around him fall into line à la Steph Curry.

Red Sox fans have a lotto look forward to for the future because Betts is a stud, and he is primed to dominate the league for years to come.