‘The Bachelor’ Recap

The Bachelor Recap

Fans of the ABC television show, The Bachelor, patiently wait for the premiere of season 23 to air on January 7, 2019. This new season is starring a fan favorite from the previous season of The Bachelorette, Colton Underwood. Underwood was one of the main focal points in the last season, due to his relations with Tia Booth, his virginity, and his striking appearance. After being sent home, Underwood was granted a spot in the spin off show of The Bachelor called Bachelor in Paradise. Yet again, Underwood was unable to find love in this environment, but he is hopeful that this new season will allow him to end by getting on one knee and proposing to his soulmate.

Underwood made it quite far in Becca Kufrin’s season of The Bachelorette. He made it all the way to the final four, but sadly did not make it out of the show with an engagement. Throughout the season, fans, as well as Becca, grew to love Underwood. Along with his handsome appearance, the 26-year-old showed the nation that he was sweet and compassionate. He is a former tight end for the Oakland Raiders, as well as the founder of the non-profit organization called “The Colton Underwood LegacyFoundation”. He started this organization to provide research and support for those living with cystic fibrosis, like his younger cousin Harper. The Bachelor audience saw as Underwood took Kufrin on a date to visit a local hospital that his organization works hand in hand with. Seeing him interact with the children, as well as Kufrin, made viewers believe he was going to end this season by putting an engagement ring on her finger.  

Kufrin admitted that he was a front runner for her, but when she let him go near the end, she expressed that her feelings for the other men were stronger than those for him. Many viewers began to speculate how she could let someone as amazing as Underwood go. Throughout the season, we saw a scandal with Underwood unravel, which may have some reason as to why she let him go. Kufrin was on season 21 of The Bachelor, where we saw her heart get broken by Arie Luyendyk. During this season, she became very good friends with Tia Booth, who was also in the running to become Luyendyk’s fiancé. Little did Kufrin know that her friendship with Booth would turn out to be a main scandal in her season of The Bachelorette.

Without Kufrin’s knowledge, before Underwood went on The Bachelorette, he had relations with Booth. They went on a date and both said they had a great time. This date was weeks before he left for California to be on the show. In the season, we see Underwood express to Kufrin that he had in fact been on a date with her friend. Underwood said that the date was in the past and wanted to focus on Kufrin, but Booth expressed to Kufrin that she has real feelings for Underwood. Part of the reason why Kufrin sent Underwood packing may be due to the fact that she was uncomfortable with the situation she was put in, where her best friend had feelings for her potential fiancé.

When Underwood left the Bachelor mansion with his bags, the audience had no idea that this would not be the last we see of him. He came back on their spin-off show later that summer in Mexico, where he was given a second chance to find love with other singles. Unfortunately, he left the beaches of Mexico yet again without a girlfriend or fiancé. Throughout this show we saw Underwood try to find love with Booth. We ultimately found that Underwood left the show because he was not sure of what he wanted, and he ended  his connection with Booth.

After seeing Underwood in two seasons of The Bachelor shows, fans are starting to think, does he deserve another shot? Throughout the season of Bachelor in Paradise, we watched Underwood shed tears about not knowing what he wants. I personally don’t think we should give him another shot. Don’t get me wrong, I would love to see his face on the TV again, but I think that the new bachelor should have been either Blake Horstmann, the runner up, or Jason Tartick, the second runner up. Underwood has had multiple shots at this and has shown that the dynamics of the Bachelor just doesn’t work for him. I think Horstmann or Tartick deserve a second shot and should be able to have that before Underwood gets his third shot at love on the show.