The Great Burrito Debate

Burritos are a special kind of meal where all the food groups are deliciously wrapped up into a warm tortilla, easily delivered to the taste buds. But what exactly makes a burrito good, instead of passable? I set out on a mission to find out where I could find the best burrito in Westfield. This meant dining in local, as well as chain restaurants to find the answer to my question. I’ll be listing the burritos from best to worst, but this is just an opinion, and you may feel differently, and that’s fine!

Best: Two Rivers Burrito Co.

This quiet restaurant located right in downtown Westfield offers a taste of the authentic hundreds of miles away from Mexico. Despite its location in the heart of town, Two Rivers never quite feels chaotic or too much. Costing around $7.50 for a burrito with meat, I found this price as average among restaurants, but the only downside was a lack of sides. Regardless, their burritos were sizable and filling, and their meats felt authentic and true to its origins. I especially enjoyed their honey jalapeno sauce, as it added a sweet and spicy flair to the dish. I’ll definitely be back.

Runner Up:  Mi Ranchito Tex-Mexican Restaurant

With their authentic atmosphere and broad menu, Mi Ranchito  was a close runner up, mainly for their prices and portions. With similar prices to other restaurants, burritos came in a variety of meat options with unique toppings like BBQ and buffalo sauce. Despite their large portions, much of the menu was Americanized and did not always feel authentic to the culture. Still, a great place to stop in for a bite.

3rd: Moe’s Southwest Grill

Bursting with flavor, Moe’s offers good taste for low prices. Despite its fast food style Mexican dishes, their burritos are sizable and offer a variety of portions. The real kicker was their inclusion of tortilla chips on the side for no extra charge, making their portions large and filling. Though not the best quality, Moe’s is still a quick trip if you’re hungry.

4th: Chipotle

Hailed by many as the champion of quick and easy Mexican food, I somewhat disagree. While their burritos are filling and full of flavor, there was a lacking in topping variety, with most options being reserved for meats. The biggest issue I found was the price, costing almost two dollars more than other burritos. Whether or not you’re already loyal to Chipotle is fine, just keep in mind how much you’re paying for average quality.

Last: Taco Bell

Taco Bell can barely qualify as Mexican food, but I went anyway just because they had burritos. The result? The flavor was fun and a unique twist but was wholly unauthentic. The food was fun while it lasted but was regretted less than an hour later. The quality of the food was enough to turn me away along with the strange twists they put on normal ideas. I don’t think Taco Bell is my cup of tea.