The Bryce is Right

The excitement has yet to fade after The Philadelphia Phillies officially signed one of Major League Baseball’s biggest free agent superstars. They signed 26-year-old Bryce Harper for a record setting $330 million over thirteen years (which is about $25 million per year before taxes).

The Phillies also saw a significant increase in ticket sales shortly after Harper signed his contract.  The Phillies had already sold 220,000 tickets in the first 48 hours after the signing. A day after signing his contract, Harper set yet another record. His number 3 Phillies jersey is the top-selling jersey of all-time for any player in any sport within 24 hours of launch, according to Fanatics.

Harper had spent his entire career with the Washington Nationals and their organization after they selected him number one overall in the 2010 draft. He debuted in 2012 at 19 years old and was an All-Star six times in his seven seasons in Washington.

Saturday served as a reality check. Bryce Harper, is going to be number three for the Philadelphia Phillies, for more than a decade. It will be interesting to see if and how changing teams will impact both Harper and the Phillies.