The Body Project: Empowering Towards Body Positivity

By Cheyenne Schumacher

Society has shaped and constructed many of our worldviews. Impacting almost every aspect of our lives, one of society’s biggest effects is that of our body image. Through society’s concept of beauty, we have come to believe that we aren’t good enough. Women and young girls are made to feel unworthy of beauty because of advertisements.

From promoting nose jobs to advertising flawless, skinny models, females feel that if they don’t look like these unreal models, then they aren’t beautiful. The Body Project, a movement run by a fantastic group of female students, wants to erase this idealized appearance.

We have come together to promote body positivity and self love to everyday women who are struggling with accepting their bodies for what they are. As one of the many leaders of this project, I can speak for all of us when I say that we have all been there too, struggling everyday to accept and love ourselves.

We want these women and young girls to know that they are not alone, and that it is possible to overcome society’s ideal beauty standards and accept your own beauty as it is. It is important to acknowledge that it IS okay to work on things for YOURSELF, but to do it for others will only hurt you even further. We are all unique and because of this, we are empowered to know that society cannot label us under just one standard of beauty.