My Time at The Job & Internship Fair

By Katherine Robrish

Job & Internship Fair- March 6, 2019

After my last class on Wednesday, I changed into the most professional outfit I had. I was going to the Job & Internship Fair, so I had to look my best. Knowing that I would be talking to potential employers from many different companies was intimidating to me; however, I put on a positive attitude and made my way over to Scanlon Hall.

Entering Scanlon, I was amazed by all of the action taking place. There were dozens of tables, and each one had eye-catching signs which allowed me to easily tell which company was which. Their representatives were all enthusiastic and welcoming, and I learned a lot about future jobs and internship opportunities. Everyone was easy to talk to and gave me their full attention. They were able to answer many of my questions.

It was helpful to learn of the opportunities I had around me to gain experience in the communications field. There were so many companies I hadn’t known about before attending the fair. Every table had informational handouts that I could take with me to learn more about the companies. It was great to talk to the company representatives because it was like having multiple job interviews without feeling nervous or scared. It was a more casual way of showing my interest in certain jobs and internships without needing background knowledge of each one. After I explained what I was interested in career-wise, the representative could explain what each job entailed, and what the company was about.

I recently changed my major from elementary education to communication. Going to the fair gave me a better idea of the options I have as a communication major and what jobs are available to me. I would recommend that all students attend these fairs. Even if you are undeclared, or are unsure of a career path, going to the fair could give you a greater perspective on your career options.