SGA Meeting: April 9

Following last week’s meeting, the SGA has decided to hold off on their vote of no-confidence for President Torrecilha. Class President of 2021, Joey Joyal, and representative, Scotty Howe, proposed to write a letter to the president as an alternative. The objectives of the letter are to lay out “measurable goals” for the President.

The proposal was met with open arms by the rest of SGA. The letter will be written by several members of SGA including Howe and Joyal. The two made it clear that this letter is also for protection. They wanted to make sure they have their objectives in writing, so that if the President agrees and fails to reach these goals, then they can go forward with a vote of no-confidence.

However, there is room for optimism in the relationship between President Torrecilha and SGA. He has told other representatives of SGA that he would like to come down to the meetings at least once a month starting next semester.

The letter itself proves opportunity for reconciliation as well. Last week, SGA was ready to conduct a vote of no-confidence, which should be a mechanism of last resort. They are holding off because they believe the President will begin to listen and improve in his areas of weakness. Both sides want progress, or at least the opportunity for it before proceeding to drastic measures.

In other news pertaining to SGA, Associate Director for Housing, Josh Hettrick participated in a Q and A. Hettrick provided statistics revealing marginal improvements in students living on campus next year due to the new housing deadline.

According to Hettrick’s stats, 1,737 students are scheduled to live on campus next year. This is compared to 1,732 this time last year. While the numbers are almost identical, Hettrick explained that other variables suggest that there were larger improvements to housing, citing there was no mid-year attrition.

More students have been able to switch their room assignments as well, compared to last year. Some students were still not thrilled with the improvements, questioning the intentions of Residential Life. Many believed that ResLife acted in deception or out of force in order to produce better numbers opposed to trying to make living on campus more enjoyable.

Hettrick listened to the students, and some ideas are now in the air. There is potential for an initial, less binding housing agreement due to students feeling forced into the agreement. Despite ResLife splitting in two, Hettrick also believes that the process will look similar next year. SGA is striving for changes and wants to be involved in decisions next year.

Smaller topics discussed include the upcoming blood drive, Give-A-Hoot Day, and the food committee. There will be a blood-drive Wednesday, 4/17 in Parenzo Gym from 1-7 PM. Students should schedule appointments online. Although walk-ins are welcome, time slots may be limited. After donating blood, you will be automatically put into a raffle to win a replica throne from HBO’s hit series Game of Thrones.

Give-A-Hoot Day proved a success as the school raised $52,208.17 total.

Lastly, students are requested to stop stealing from the dining commons. The DC has lost over $12,000 in utensils. Of the 2,500 cups ordered this year, only 400 remain.

SGA meets Tuesdays at 5:30 at the SGA Room in the basement of Ely. All are welcome.