Pats Flying High

Before I get into the game, I would like to personally thank Antonio Brown for his one game as a Patriot. The contributions you made against the Dolphins were a thing of beauty. It is a shame you won’t be doing that every week.

Despite the score being 30-14 at the end of the game, this was another showcase of dominance by the Patriots. Yet again, the Pats’ defense showed why they are the defending champions. The only Jets points came after a muffed punt from Gunner Olszewski and a pick- six late in the game, thrown by Pats’ backup quarterback Jarrett Stidham. Stidham was put in the game to give Tom Brady some extra rest and wind the clock down. After the interception, Brady had to go back in and take care of the ball.

Jamie Collins continues to dominate for the defense. Collins was all over the field recording 5 tackles and 2 sacks. The Pats and Jaguars now lead the league in sacks with 13. The Pats also have the least yards allowed, averaging only 199-yards per game. If that isn’t enough, they also lead the league in interceptions as a team with 6, thanks in part to Devin McCourty, who grabbed another interception. His twin brother, Jason, is also making contributions so far with 15 tackles on the year.

One aspect of New England’s game that has clearly been struggling lies on the shoulders of the kicker, Stephen Gostkowski. Although his missed field goals have not made much of an impact so far, I’m sure there will be an important field goal or extra point down the road. If he continues to perform poorly, there may be some roster changes ahead.

Next up for the Pats are the Buffalo Bills. The Bills are 3-0 and have also been playing great defense. Josh Allen is playing good, and if there is any team they would love to beat, it is the Patriots. Hopefully we are in store for a competitive football game this week.