Defense Wins Championships

Sunday’s matchup between the Bills and Patriots was a pure defensive battle throughout the game. Both teams came out and competed. This game proved not only that the Patriots don’t need Tom Brady to perform lights out every game in order to win, but also that Buffalo has a real shot at a winning season this year; especially with their fairly “easy” schedule.

Brady had one of his less appealing games, throwing for just 150-yards with no touchdowns and an interception. The offense struggled all game. He was clearly not happy with his performance, but there’s no “I” in team.

Jamie Collins and Devin McCourty are also making a real run for AFC defensive player of the month. They are both in a position to earn that title and they added another interception to their season stats this week, making them #1 and #2 in the league for interceptions; McCourty with 4 and Collins with 3. Collins also added another sack, bringing his season total to 3.5.

Again, veteran kicker Stephen Gostkowski was struggling, who has just been placed on the IR. Gostkowski missed another extra point this week, which did have some significance. Although he has been off and this was somewhat foreseeable, he is also a 3x Super Bowl champion and the Patriots all-time leading scorer. It will be hard to find a clear-cut replacement. Whoever takes the field Sunday will have some big shoes to fill.

Next week the Pats are heading to Washington to take on the 0-4 Redskins. The Redskins are struggling to find their identity as the starting quarterback job is still up for grabs, so it seems the Pat’s defense will be feasting yet again. Brady will probably be bringing the intensity after his troubles last week. That being said, Lets Go!