Patriots defeat Giants, 35-14

Patriots defeat Giants, 35-14

For the first time in a long time, Tom Brady is not the star in New England. The star isn’t anyone exactly. Football has always been a team sport and for a while, he’s been the face, or villain, of the NFL. The start of this season is a different story for the Patriots and their fans.

The defensive unit of the Pats is playing at an all-time level. They are not only as the best defense in the league, but possibly the best defense of all time. They have allowed the least yards per game, and as a team have 14 interceptions and 25 sacks. Now, they have only played six games and have had a particularly easy schedule so far, but if this continues through the next seven games or so, they will be talked about for a very long time. 

The final score against the Giants on Thursday night was 35-14 in favor of the Pats, but the game was actually much closer for the majority of the game. The first score of the game came on a blocked punt returned for a touchdown by rookie Chase Winovich, his first career touchdown. However, the Giants answered with a defensive touchdown of their own before going into half. Tom Brady was strip sacked and Giants’ defender Markus Golden scooped and scored the touchdown. At halftime, the Pats led 21-14. 

The play of the game came with 8:35 left to go in the fourth quarter. Linebacker Jamie Collins made a big hit on Giants running back Jon Hilliman, causing a fumble. Kyle Van Noy then scooped and scored himself for a game-winning diving touchdown. On the next Patriots’ possession Julian Edelman put the nail in the coffin with a diving catch that then lead to an easy quarterback sneak for Brady. 

The Patriots are staying in the New York state of mind as they prepare to take on the new-look Jets on Monday. Sam Darnold has returned to play, and has given the Jets their first win of the year, beating the Dallas Cowboys 24-22. They could bring some momentum into the once upon a time rivalry, however one mistake from Darnold is all it will take for their chances to be lost.