Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Others Endorse Bernie Sanders

Last week, Congresswomen Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Ilhan Omar formally endorsed Bernie Sanders for President in 2020. Her announcement was made at a campaign rally for Sanders in Long Island City, New York. This is a big deal for many candidates, as the two congresswomen have become very popular among Democrats, and who they choose to endorse holds a lot of weight among voters. 

Ocasio-Cortez and Omar are some of the most progressive Democrats in the House of Representatives, and many of their views align with those of Senator Sanders. They also have a very strong influence due to their active online presence, which also connects them to the younger population. This endorsement may help Sanders secure a larger portion of the 18-25-year-old vote, a demographic that often has one of the lowest voting percentages. 

Ocasio-Cortez and Omar also identify themselves as Democratic Socialists, as does Sanders. This endorsement may serve to strengthen the Democratic Socialist presence in Congress. 

It was noted that Ocasio-Cortez was choosing between Sanders and Senator Elizabeth Warren when considering her coveted endorsement. This choice may create a divide between Sanders and Warren, who are some of the more left-leaning Democrats in the crowded field. 

With a just little over three months until the Iowa Caucus, the first vote of the Democratic Primary, any campaign news is a big deal. 

Other notable figures who have endorsed Sanders include San Juan, Puerto Rico Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz and Patrick Leahy, Sanders’ fellow Senator from Vermont.