Boogeymen Scare off Browns

The New England Patriots have just reached the halfway point of the season, and have done so without suffering a single loss. It is really starting to feel like this may be the perfect season. Not only do they have Tom Brady on their side, but also the most feared defense in the league. Their defense is now known as the “Boogeymen”.

The Boogeymen did it again aiding to defeat the Cleveland Browns 27 to 13. Browns running back Nick Chubb fumbled on his first rushing attempt of the game and linebacker Dont’a Hightower scooped and scored for a touchdown, immediately giving the Pats momentum. Chubb then nearly had the redemption run of the season for his team, until Jonathan Jones punched the ball out causing Chubb to fumble again, just ten yards out from scoring a touchdown. If that was not enough of a momentum shift Lawrence Guy then intercepted a Baker Mayfield toss and put Brady on the Brown’s 10-yard line. Three consecutive plays, three consecutive turnovers for Baker’s Browns. Brady was then able to hit Julian Edelman for an easy 8-yard touchdown.

Being down by 17 points in the first quarter at Gillette stadium is a recipe for disaster for opposing teams. This is what the Patriots do. They build up a lead and before you know it, it is too late to catch them. However, Baker Mayfield was able to find the end-zone once before the half, making the score 17-7 going into the locker room.

Thanks to Nick Chubb, the Browns were able to cut it to a one score game adding a field goal to start the 3rd quarter. However, on the next Pats drive right when the Browns thought they had a game, Brady threw a crucial screen pass to James White that went for 60-yards. Brady then found Edelman for another touchdown and that was all she wrote.

Next up for the Pats are the Baltimore Ravens led by the up-and-coming Lamar Jackson. The Ravens are 5-2 on the year and are definitely the toughest opponent for the Patriots so far. I expect Lamar Jackson to see success running the ball like he has all year, but think the lockdown Boogeymen will be able to expose his weaker passing abilities.