Owls Take Down Lancers, 38-15

Client: Mass. State College Building Authority (617) 933-8345 Project: Westfield State – Football Field (Alumni Field) | Westfield, MA For more information Contact Gregg Shupe 508-877-7700 www.Shupestudios.com

Westfield State University football improved to (2-7) for the 2019 football season when they defeated Worcester State by a score of 38-15. The game was close through the entirety of the first half. The biggest lead was at halftime, when Worcester was up 9-7. Westfield came out of the gates hot to start the second half. They relied heavily on the run game and took control of the matchup early in the third quarter.

It was a fast start to the game as both offenses scored touchdowns early, but after that, both offenses went quiet. The two teams traded punts and turnovers for the most of the second quarter. Quarterback Andrew Peltier tried to get the passing game more involved, but Worcester State showed him they were ready, as they picked him off three times, twice in the first half.

Westfield came out in the second half of this game and scored within the first 5 minutes. Peltier seemed to find a hole in the Worcester defense as he scrambled into the endzone. He enjoyed it so much, he did it once more about five minutes later. Peltier ran for 65 yards from the quarterback spot. He was not the only player to find the end-zone on the ground, as freshman running back Leesandro Colon did while running for 194 yards. He capped off a great performance with a screen pass turned touchdown late in the game. Peltier added two more passing touchdowns, one each to Kevin Faughnan and Shane Clark.

Westfield made some mental errors with their penalties. Westfield had nine penalties for 90 yards. Compare that to Worcester who committed just two penalties for eighteen yards in the entire game. Worcester was called for a taunting penalty in the Westfield end-zone which ended up leading to a Peltier touchdown run. Westfield stayed calm and did not get into any trouble with Worcester’s players.

Worcester struggled to find any consistency on the offensive side of the ball. They tried seven different players running the ball, none more than eight times. They scored one touchdown on the ground. Their quarterback, Aaron-Moses Williams threw the ball pretty well, going for over 200 yards. Both teams ran two different offenses, but Westfield and the run game prevailed.

The team has one last game against UMass Dartmouth on Saturday the 16th. This is chance for them to finish the season at 3-7. That may not seem great, but they started the season 0-7.