California Wildfires Continue

Last week, a set of wildfires continued to pass through multiple regions of California, as well as parts of Utah and Nevada.

A fire in Kincade, a neighborhood in Irwindale, CA has proved the largest. According to NPR, after burning for 11 days the fire is now 80% contained as of Monday. This fire forced over 180,000 residents out of their homes, as nearly half of the buildings affected were residential. 

Another major fire, the Maria fire in Ventura County, is also in the process of being contained. This fire has burned over 9,000 acres so far. 

The cause of these fires are mostly unknown to officials. Some experts have attributed this wildfire outbreak to the Santa Ana winds passing through the area. California wildfire season usually stretches from October to spring, and weather plays a big role.

No deaths have been reported yet, but three people have been injured. 

This set of wildfires comes just a year after the deadly 2018 California forest fires where 103 people were killed.

To help those affected by the fires, contact the Red Cross or the California Fire Foundation’s Supplying Aid to Victims of Emergency program.