Walker and Brown Lead the Celtics Past the Mavericks

Kemba Walker and Jaylen Brown led the Boston Celtics past the Dallas Mavericks as they improved to (8-1) with their 116-106 win on Monday night. The Mavericks Luka Doncic kept the game close with his 34 points. The Celtics played their first game after Gordon Hayward fractured his hand. The team stepped up in his absence, with five different players scoring double digit points.

The Celtics starting five was the main reason for their success as Walker and Brown led the team with a combined 54 points. Brown was dominant on both ends of the floor all game. He guarded multiple positions on defense as well as grabbing eleven rebounds. Walker came alive in the fourth quarter. He was slower to start the game, but he hit three 3-pointers in the fourth. When the C’s asked him to score, he answered.

With Gordon Hayward out, Jayson Tatum is going to have to step his game up. He got bailed out by his teammates on Monday. He shot a terrible, 1-18 from the field. He scored just five points in the game. Tatum was expected to take a step forward this season, and with Hayward out for about six weeks, he has a great opportunity to get his shots up. He just needs to keep his confidence and he will make them.

In the second half, the Mavericks started to heat up. They hit a barrage of three pointers, but Kemba answered, every time. Whenever the lead began to get closer, Walker hit big shot after big shot.

The Celtics have been a surprisingly athletic team this season. Robert Williams and Javonte Green have brought a spark off the Celtics bench with their jumping ability. Williams has scored all of his points this season right around the rim. Javonte Green was an undrafted free agent who has shown the Celtics he can score, and do it well. He could see an increase in minutes with Hayward out.

The Celtics look to get a win on Wednesday as they play the Washington Wizards. Isiah Thomas will make another return to Boston where he will be met with cheers. The Wizards are just (2-6) so this game should be very winnable for Boston.