Disney Plus is a Hit Across Generations

On Tuesday, November 12th, Disney released its highly anticipated streaming service, Disney Plus. Like other services such as Netflix and Hulu, Disney Plus allows users to watch unlimited content for a monthly fee. The platform features movies, tv shows, and shorts from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, the Star Wars Franchise, and National Geographic. Not only does the streaming service allow users to watch their favorite shows and movies, but Disney has also produced multiple programs exclusively for Disney Plus.

According to ABC News, over 10 million users signed up for the streaming service in just one day. It was also noted that in contrast, Netflix racked up 158 million subscribers since the launch of its streaming platform in 2007.

Not only is the amount of subscribers a big deal, but the types of people who are using the service are too. According to IndieWire, a survey done before the platform’s release indicated that likely subscribers were either 18-24 year-olds or households with children. It’s not surprising that young adults want to use Disney Plus, as many of the movies and shows on the platform existed during the childhood of today’s 18-24 year-olds. When asked about being able to watch childhood shows and movies, one user stated, “Due to the fact that many shows from our childhood are no longer shown on TV or other streaming platforms, I think many teens and young adults are excited to be able to watch our childhood favorites again and relive memories.” It’s safe to say that Disney Plus will provide a sense of nostalgia for many viewers.

However, the release of Disney Plus does not come without some controversy. According to Deadline, Nickelodeon and Netflix announced a multi-year deal just one day after the release of Disney Plus. This may be interpreted as a challenge to Disney’s new platform, as Netflix now has some major competition.

There is currently a large number of streaming platforms available for viewers, and some may be worried that many people would not subscribe to Disney Plus when there are many more options available. However, one viewer stated that “many Disney shows that are on Disney Plus have never been available on other platforms”. This allows Disney Plus to stand out amongst the big crowd of streaming services offered today.

In the end, however, Disney Plus allows young adults to relive their childhood by watching their favorite childhood TV shows, and gives younger children a more age-appropriate option for streaming shows and movies.