Kamala Harris Drops Out of 2020 Presidential Race

On Tuesday, Dec. 3, Senator Kamala Harris announced that she would be suspending her 2020 presidential campaign. Although Harris did qualify for the next debate in December, she felt that her campaign did not have enough funds to continue.

According to Politico, Harris “took a deep look at the campaign’s resources over the holiday and decided she did not have a path to the nomination.”

Harris told her supporters “I’ve taken stock and looked at this from every angle, and over the last few days have come to one of the hardest decisions of my life.” This news has come as a surprise to many, as Harris’s campaign began very strong. Her kickoff rally in Oakland, California had over 20,000 supporters present (Politico).

The suspension of Harris’s campaign leaves 15 candidates left in the race, only six of which have qualified for the next debate. However, her departure leaves room for other candidates to try to get support from California, Harris’s home state.

According to the Los Angeles Times, surveys show that many supporters will now back former Vice President Joe Biden, Senator Elizabeth Warren, Senator Bernie Sanders, or Mayor Pete Buttigieg. In addition, other prominent government officials, such as California Governor Gavin Newsom, who had endorsed Harris, are being sought out for endorsements by other candidates.

Overall, there are mixed feelings regarding Harris’s departure. As noted by NPR, a number of people are now concerned about the lack of racial diversity in the current field of candidates. Currently, the six candidates qualified for the December debate are all white.

Former Housing Secretary Julían Castro stated, “What we’re staring at is a DNC debate stage in a few days with no people of color on it, that does not reflect the diversity of our party or our country. We need to do better than that” (NPR).

In a video announcing the suspension of her campaign, Harris noted that she still intends to “stay in the fight against Trump” (Politico). She noted, “Although I am no longer running for president, I will do everything in my power to defeat Donald Trump and fight for the future of our country and the best of who we are. I know you will too. So let’s do that together.”