Powerful 7.7 Earthquake Hits Jamaica and Cuba

A magnitude 7.7 earthquake rumbled the Caribbean Sea, with multiple aftershocks that spread to places throughout Mexico and Florida. The aftershocks did not cause major damage or casualties.

The first shock hit shortly after 2:00pm Eastern time. ​These shocks expanded 86 miles northwest of Montego Bay, Jamaica and 87 miles west-southwest from Niquero, Cuba with a depth of six miles beneath the surface.

According to USA Today, the United States Geological Survey “initially estimated the quake’s magnitude at 7.3 before upgrading it to 7.7. The ensuing aftershocks so far have topped out at a magnitude 6.1.”

Far western parts of Jamaica experienced severe shaking that had the potential to cause serious damage. Moderate shaking was felt on Grand Cayman Island, while light shaking occurred on the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico.

Other countries, including Haiti, Honduras, and the Bahamas were affected as well. Currently, there is no record of any injuries or damages.

According to Mexico’s seismological service, more rumbles could be felt throughout four states within Mexico. The aftershocks reached all the way to south Florida, where buildings in Miami had to be evacuated. Overtime the Coastal City of Santiago in the eastern part of Cuba felt these shakes as well.

This is the Caribbean’s fourth seven magnitude or greater earthquake since the 2000s. The cause of the earthquake can be attributed to a fault boundary between North America and the Caribbean plates.