NBA Trade Deadline

https%3A%2F%2Fsomebodymarketing.com%2Fbranding%2Fsimplistic-story-nba-logo%2F
https://somebodymarketing.com/branding/simplistic-story-nba-logo/

Photo via SomebodyMarketing.com

It has been a crazy week as contenders try to fill holes, bottom tier teams acquire assets, and big names got moved. NBA reporters and analysts have been extremely busy this past week. Here is my breakdown of how these big trades will work out for the teams that made them.

The first big trade of the season was a four-team deal involving 12 (yes 12) different players. It could get complicated so I will try and simplify it as much as possible.

The Atlanta Hawks, Houston Rockets, Minnesota Timberwolves, and Denver Nuggets

The Atlanta Hawks received two centers, Clint Capela and Nene (who they waived after acquired) from the Houston Rockets. The Hawks add the dominant big man that they lacked and Capela will compliment Trae Young well in the pick and roll game, as well as adding elite rebounding. He is grabbing almost 14 rebounds a game.

The Houston Rockets received forwards Robert Covington and Jordan Bell from the Minnesota Timberwolves. They wanted to add a solid wing defender, which they got in Covington. But after trading away their starting center, they will now rely on PJ Tucker to play center, he is only 6’5”. They will be outmatched against any team with an elite center.

The Denver Nuggets got Noah Vonleh, Gerald Green, Shabazz Napier, and Keita Bates-Diop as well as a first-round pick. I don’t think this trade really affects them in a positive or a negative way. The did not give up or receive any game-changing players.

Finally, the Timberwolves received Juancho Hernangomez, Evan Turner, Malik Beasley, Jarred Vanderbilt, and a first-round pick. This move for them was mostly to clear cap space for another move they made before the deadline (as you’ll see later in this article).

Hopefully this wasn’t TOO confusing.

The Miami Heat, Memphis Grizzlies, and Minnesota Timberwolves

The Memphis Grizzlies traded away Andre Igoudala (who has not played for them at all this season), Jae Crowder, and Solomon Hill to the Miami Heat. The Heat traded back Justise Winslow, Dion Waiters, and James Johnson. The Timberwolves jumped into this deal late and got James Johnson in exchange for Gorgui Dieng.

The Grizzlies improved after this deal by getting younger and adding Justise Winslow, and a veteran scorer in Dion Waiters. They did so without giving up too much. I would say that they clearly won this trade.

The Heat made a move in hopes of contending for a championship this season. Iguodala has championship experience and brings veteran leadership to their lockeroom. The strange part is that the Heat signed him to a 2-year extension worth 30-million dollars.

The Philadelphia 76ers and Golden State Warriors

The 76ers made a smart move and added two guys who can score off the bench for them. They got Alec Burks and Glenn Robinson III from Golden State for just three second-round picks. Philly doesn’t have to give up any of their players, and they fix their 3-pt shooting sturggles. This is a small but most likely impactful trade for the 76ers.

The Golden State Warriors and Minnesota Timberwolves

One of the bigger trades made this year, sends D’Angelo Russell to Minnesota in exchange for Andrew Wiggins and a protected first-round pick. The Timberwolves moved on from Wiggins and his massive contract. They added D’Angelo Russell, Jacob Evans, and Omari Spellman.

The Timberwolves won this trade, they added Russell, who is a close friend of the Wolves’ best player in Karl Anthony-Towns. Russell and Towns could be a very interesting duo who look to turn around the Wolves season.

The Warriors take on Andrew Wiggins along with a first round pick, and a second round pick. They are plagued with injuries this year with Klay Thompson and Steph Curry hurt. They are hoping that Wiggins will be a better third option than second option like in Minnesota.

The Detroit Pistons and Cleveland Cavaliers

This trade is preposterous. The Cavaliers basically stole Andre Drummond from the Pistons. They traded John Henson, Brandon Knight and a 2nd round draft pick. Andre Drummond is arguably the best rebounder in the league, and the Cavs got him for next to nothing. As for the Cavs, it makes no sense to trade for Drummond who could possibly leave in the offseason, and they will not be contending for a championship this year.

The Los Angeles Clippers, New York Knicks, and Washington Wizards

The Clippers added depth to their already championship caliber roster. They added Marcus Morris from the Knicks, and Isiah Thomas from the Wizards. They get two solid bench players to add scoring to their elite defense. The Clippers plan to release Thomas at some point before he plays a game with them.

The Knicks got Moe Harkless and a first round pick from the Clippers. This move is mainly for the draft pick as the Knicks are not very good this season.

And the Wizards get Jerome Robinson, a young guard from the Clippers. A small move for them essentially swapping veteran Isiah Thomas for Robinson. 

It was a wild trade deadline, very similar to free agency this past summer. Lots of player movement, but now the NBA heads to the buyout market season where contenders will look to add veterans before the playoffs start.