Gotta Go Fast: How the Sonic Redesign Saved the Movie

Last year, the first official trailer for the live-action Sonic movie had dropped, and everybody and their grandmother was not having it; myself included. This film looked like it was going to be terrible. However, for the first time ever a director listened to the criticisms people had on his movie trailer and went back, and painstakingly redesigned the character. He then pushed back the release to February of this year, instead of its original November release. In my opinion, this saved the movie.

Everything else was fine. Jim Carrey did surprisingly well with his role as Dr. Robotnik. I was not expecting for him to get many laughs out of me, but he did. Which makes sense that he would have to, given how boisterous of a character Eggman is in the Sonic The Hedgehog franchise. I would say the story is a straightforward one, since this is technically a family movie. But what’s important to recognize, is that this is a video game movie that wasn’t complete, and total garbage. It was a lot of fun, and sometimes you just need a movie like that. The worst thing your film can be is boring. Which Sonic The Hedgehog is not.

Overall, I think it was a smart decision on the part of Director, Jeff Fowler, to redesign Sonic, since this is the type of film that draws in a lot of younger audiences. They are who this film’s target demographic is clearly supposed to be, which nightmare fuel Sonic probably wouldn’t have done well with. The internet made that pretty crystal clear when the first trailer had dropped. Basically, this isn’t Detective Pikachu, but it’s also not The Super Mario Brothers Movie. I’d recommend it to anyone that is able to just enjoy a film, without it having to be a modern Godfather.