Joe Biden Emerges as Front Runner on Super Tuesday

Former Vice President Joe Biden came out on top this Tuesday when 15 states and territories voted in their Democratic Primaries and Caucuses. Biden received 380 delegates, bringing his total to 595.

Super Tuesday, the biggest primary day of the election, awarded over one-third of all the available delegates. Coming in at a close second was Senator Bernie Sanders, who was awarded 328 delegates, bringing his total to 528.

Out of the 15 primaries and caucuses being held on Tuesday, Biden won in ten states, Bernie won in four, and Michael Bloomberg received the most votes in American Samoa.

Two other candidates-Senator Elizabeth Warren and Congresswoman Tulsi Gabbard- also received delegates. Warren received 28, which brought her total to 65, and Gabbard received one delegate from American Samoa. However, Warren dropped out of the race on Thursday.

Biden won in all of the southern states holding elections as the remaining moderate candidate in the field. Also notable was his victory in Massachusetts, which put him two places above Elizabeth Warren in her home state.

Sanders was able to take home arguably the night’s biggest prize: California. With 415 delegates available, this win put Sanders within striking distance of Joe Biden.

The next set of primaries will be held on March 10 for Idaho, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, North Dakota, and Washington. The next debate will be held on March 15.