Stuck in Quarantine: What to Know and How to Handle It

Since mid-March, the United States along with many other countries are in a state of quarantine due to COVID-19. According to the Wikipedia definition, this means there is a “restriction on the movement of people and goods intended to prevent the spread of disease and pests.” 

What is COVD-19?

According to the Center fo Disease Control, people can be infected with COVID-19 for up to 14 days until they experience symptoms. Symptoms include cough, fever, fatigue and in severe cases, difficulty breathing.

The elderly, people with other medical conditions, such as asthma or diabetes, and people with heart disease may be more susceptible to COVID-19.  

How is the quarantine being handled? 

Limited access to the “outside” world is prominently suggested. Only essential businesses are currently open, including pharmacies and grocery stores. People are contained in their own homes, and group gatherings larger than 10 people are not permitted. The 6-foot rule has been put in place, meaning you should not be in closer proximities to another person than six feet. 

Since COVID-19 is airborne and can spread from a touch or a single cough, people must abide by these strict rules in order to aid the number of cases.  

While these restrictions are difficult to adjust to, they have allowed the population to be more creative with their days. College and University courses all over the U.S., including those at Westfield State University, have moved to ZOOM. Here, a video conference can replace in-person class meetings. YouTube videos recorded by professors or already existing ones, have replaced lectures as well.  

What are people doing in their spare time?

As for leisurely activity, many have taken up walking around their neighborhoods, or going for bike rides when the weather is nice. If the weather is not cooperating, many gyms have started holding online classes. Planet Fitness and WSU’s Ely Center broadcast a live video stream helping people to stay in shape while the public gyms are closed.  

Many have returned to hobbies they may have had before the shutdown, like reading, painting, or knitting. If you don’t already have a hobby, there are many tutorials available online to pick up a new pastime, like cooking.  

My personal experience:

Over the course of this quarantine, I have tried to incorporate exercise and leisure into my daily life. My local YMCA’s YouTube channel and yoga tutorials have kept me sane, along with some baking and my WSU classes. It may be crazy staying inside all day, but I have hope that if we all follow the government issued guidelines, this will soon come to an end. Stay positive.