You Can’t Dodge COVID-19

The Los Angeles Dodgers won the World Series Tuesday, Nov. 27 when they defeated the Tampa Bay Rays. However, this wasn’t the only excitement of the night. The Dodgers third baseman Justin Turner was pulled from the game during the eighth inning after commissioner Rob Manfred got the call he tested positive for COVID-19. 

The MLB had set up a “soft bubble” in Arlington, TX to avoid traveling back and forth from Los Angeles to Tampa Bay for the World Series. All throughout the MLB season, teams had tested positive but continued to play just days after. Their handling of this 2020 season amid the coronavirus pandemic was less than stellar. 

Turner was told to remain in the clubhouse and not leave. While celebration roared, Turner made his way back onto the field to celebrate with his teammates. The MLB acknowledged the desire to celebrate after winning the World Series, but were very unhappy with Turners lack of awareness to the situation. 

Although, Turner knew he had tested positive, he continued to celebrate with his 25 teammates, coaches, and families of the team. Not only did he hug and celebrate with his teammates, he did so without a mask on. 

It is still unknown how or if the MLB is going to punish Turner and/or the Dodgers. However, there needs to be repercussions for Turner’s actions. The MLB handled the regular season poorly in terms of COVID-19 in general, so to allow Turner to pull a stunt like this would be a bad look. It will only get worse for Rob Manfred, Commissioner for the MLB and the MLB in general if this gets swept under the rug.