2020 Presidential Election Results Unknown as Several States Continue to Count Votes

The 2020 Presidential Election results are still unknown on Wednesday morning. 

The election is currently a tight race, with Former Vice President Joe Biden in the lead with 227 electoral votes. President Trump trails closely behind at 213 with eight states still counting votes.

Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan, North Carolina, Georgia, Arizona, Nevada, and Alaska are still awaiting their final tallies. According to the New York Times, most of these states are expecting to have their results by Wednesday night.

Biden holds a close lead in Wisconsin, Michigan, Nevada, and Arizona, with most outstanding ballots coming from mail-in voting. Winning these four states would put him at 270 electoral votes-the exact amount needed to win the election.

However, Nevada does not expect to get their final tallies until Thursday night, according to election officials in the state. 

In the early hours of Wednesday, President Trump gave a speech from the White House East Room prematurely declaring victory. 

In his speech, the President said, “We were getting ready to win this election. Frankly, we did win this election.”

There is currently no winner in this election as many votes have not yet been counted.

The President’s speech has been highly critiqued by many news publications.

As CNN notes, “Trump attacked the legitimate vote counting efforts, calling it ‘fraud’ with no basis. The President then claimed he ‘did win’ the election, despite the millions of votes that have yet to be counted.”

Many reporters have also called out the President on his claims, including CNN’s Jake Tapper, who stated “Almost everything President Trump said in his declaration of victory was not true.”

Overall, voter turnout was greater than in years past. Joe Biden broke the record for the most votes ever received by a presidential candidate with over 69.5 million votes as of Wednesday morning. The record was previously held by former President Barack Obama with just under 69.5 million votes.