Tampa Bay Buccaneers take Super Bowl LV

“We’re going to Disney World,” Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski yelled following their Super Bowl victory on Sunday evening. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers defeated the Kansas City Chiefs by a score of 31-9. 

Tampa Bay’s defense denied Kansas City entry to the endzone. Holding them to just a trio of field goals. Defensive coordinator Todd Bowles game planned a near perfect game. The TB defense allowed just 270 passing yards, putting pressure on Patrick Mahomes on almost all of his pass attempts. They caused two turnovers, both interceptions. 

Mahomes spent more energy avoiding the TB pass rush than he passed for. He ran for close to 500 yards just avoiding the pass rush. He struggled to get the offense going, Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce were the only two KC players who did any damage. 

Kelce had 10 receptions for 133 yards, and Hill had 7 receptions for 73 yards. Which would have been great had they found the endzone. Aside from the two of them, the KC offense had less than 100 yards. 

The Tampa Bay offense seemed unstoppable in the first half, as they changed their game plan to conserve the lead in the second half. Tom Brady had three first half passing touchdowns, including a pair to TE Rob Gronkowski, and another to WR Antonio Brown. Brady was extremely efficient, completing 72% of his pass attempts. 

Running back Leonard Fournette scored the fourth touchdown for the Bucs, and the only one in the second half. He and fellow running back Ronald Jones ran for a combined 150 rushing yards. They played a big part in the win by allowing the clock to keep running while Tampa held their lead.  

This was a huge game for the legacies of both quarterbacks. While there were questions whether or not Tom Brady would be passing the torch to Patrick Mahomes, that proved not to be the case.

The 43 year old Brady went on to win his 7th Super Bowl, and his 5th Super Bowl MVP. Mahomes on the other hand, one of the best young quarterbacks in the league will need to have one hell of a career if he wants to challenge Brady in the discussion of Greatest of All Time. 

Expect both of these teams to be competing next season to get back to the Super Bowl. Two great quarterbacks, coaches, and all around teams.