Netflix’s Newest Haunting

With Halloween approaching, Netflix released many new and spooky shows. Although, one stood out more than the others. The Haunting of Hill House, a Netflix original series, has been trending on social media since the day it was released. Many on twitter have said that the show is so scary that it made them “pass out”, or “get sick”.  This made me hesitant to watch the show, however after viewing the entire season twice, I did not find it to be nearly that spooky. Although it did not serve the jaw dropping scares that I was promised, Hill House is an intricately designed puzzle, jam packed with quality content.  

The series is based off the novel written by Shirley Jackson and follows the Crain family after they move into a mysterious mansion. The show begins with the death of the youngest sibling, Nellie. Which in turn, brings back haunting events from the family’s past. The story is told in flashbacks, as well as present day, and allows watchers to understand how the events that are being shown are terrorizing the family, even until this day. Throughout the season, viewers will become familiar with ghosts, such as “the bent neck lady”, someone who has haunted Nellie for her entire life, and people will get a look into the mind of the siblings troubled mother.  

While this show may not be the shocking horror that you have been searching for, it is a complex and intriguing story about fate always finding a way, and the love that binds even the most troubled families. Over all, I would recommend, seeing as it is a 10/10.