New England’s Defense Wins Out in Buffalo

The Patriots managed to outplay the Bills on Monday night because of a couple of key plays. Up until 10 minutes to go in the game, not a single touchdown had been scored. It was a field goal battle for the ages. 

Stephen Gostkowski attempted five field goals and was successful on four of them, while Steven Hauschka of the Bills was two for two. If the Pats had been able to capitalize deep in the Bills territory, this could have been a completely different game.

The clear answer to the Patriots offensive struggles was the loss of Sony Michel. As a team they were only able to rush for 86 yards on 23 attempts. Cordarrelle Patterson, a usual wide out, received the bulk of the carries. He rushed the ball 10 times accounting for 38-yards, averaging 3.8 yards. For an out of position player, he did not perform terribly. However an established running game is something that needs to be worked on with the absence of Michel.

The Pats finally put a drive together with 10 minutes to go that lead to a 1-yard touchdown run from James White. White continues to have a fantastic year, with most of his action coming from swing passes out of the backfield. White had 10 receptions for 79-yards, and following his touchdown, the Patriots went up 18 to 6.

With 6:04 left in the game, Devin McCourty made a once in a season play. An 85-yard pick-six to seal the win and crush the hearts of the Bills Mafia. This was the team’s first pick-six of the year. The Pats defense and special teams now have three touchdowns in the last two weeks.

The Pats will return to Foxborough Sunday night only to welcome Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers. This quarterback matchup will have eyes watching around the country. Although the packers are struggling at 3-3-1, they are coming off a hard fought loss to the LA Rams and I expect them to bring their A-game. I would expect another close offensive duel in Gillette.