NBA’s Most Improved Player Prediction

The last six of the NBA’s Most Improved Player award recipients have included stars that have changed the fortunes of their respective franchises. Victor Oladipo, Giannis Antetokounmpo, CJ McCollum, Jimmy Butler, Paul George, and even 2014’s award winner Goran Dragic make up an impressive list of athletes who have all taken their franchise and completely elevated their team’s potential. The bar is set incredibly high for the MIP award winner for the 2018-2019 season, though there are a handful of players who are primed to breakout and help their squad become contenders.

Nikola Mirotic, of the New Orleans Pelicans, has an opportunity to be a driving force for his team to take the leap they hinted they were capable of during the second half of last season, and the postseason. A midseason acquisition for New Orleans after turbulent half season in Chicago, Mirotic has now had a few months and postseason play along with a full offseason to see how he fits alongside franchise centerpiece Anthony Davis. He may not be as purely talented as Davis’ former running mate Demarcus Cousins, but he is capable of playing much faster at the 4.

This allows Davis to switch back to the 5 where he excels and gives New Orleans a more versatile lineup. As sharpshooting big, if Mirotic can play stingy defense and take some of the pressure off Davis on that end, he’ll unlock New Orleans defensive and offensive potential as the perfect frontcourt partner to Davis. Expect his numbers to take a jump with all the attention on Davis.

Last season, Khris Middleton was quietly excellent for Milwaukee averaging 20 points per game next to the Greek Freak and playing his typical staunch defense. This season, he should remain excellent for the Bucks, but it won’t be quiet. He showed out against the Celtics in the postseason, helping Giannis take Boston seven games in a tightly contested series with his scorching outside jumper complimenting Antetokounmpo’s overall dominance inside. He is a  defensive stopper capable of guarding 1-4 with a lights out perimeter game, fitting a similar mold as Klay Thompson, and he is the perfect second fiddle to a player like Giannis and should be on everyone’s radar this season. The Bucks will be a team to reckon with thanks in large part to Middleton.

D’Angelo Russell’s young career has been an absolute rollercoaster to date. From his rookie season being overshadowed by Kobe’s farewell tour and the Nick Young cellphone fiasco, to Magic Johnson choosing Lonzo Ball over him and sending him to Brooklyn, Russell finds himself as a young leader on a Nets team desperately trying to find an identity. Russell is talented player with smooth handles with a nice lefty jump shot, and he has the skeleton of reigning MVP James Harden’s skillset. A point guard with 6’5” frame, Russell has loads of defensive potential with his size at his position and with the Net’s gritty play style, he can be their focal point on both sides of the ball. Russell, the second pick in the 2015, is now in his contract year and it is in the best interest of both him and Brooklyn that he finally breaks out and has a career year. If Russell can average around 22 points per game and 6 assists he should get a nice contract, and Brooklyn will have their franchise point guard.

A fellow member of Russell’s 2015 draft class, Myles Turner, finds himself in an interesting position with the Indiana Pacers. Turner was primed to be the focal point of the Pacers after Paul George’s exodus, though the meteoric rise of Victor Oladipo reduced the Pacer’s big to an afterthought on a surprisingly well-rounded team. A talented 7-footer with shot blocking prowess in the paint and a solid jumper, Turner has the tools to be one of the most impactful 5’s in the game today. With the opposing teams attention squarely on Oladipo and newly acquired Tyreke Evans, Turner has an opportunity to take a good Pacers offense and make them one of the league’s best, with shooters and playmakers everywhere around him.

Prediction for the top vote getter is Russell, though all four of them should tightly compete in the race.