The Big Bucks

5, 28, 62, 65, 70 and Mega Ball 5 were the winning numbers drawn Tuesday night, Oct. 23. The ticket was sold at the KC Mart in Simpsonville, South Carolina, and made the winner $1.5 billion richer.

The winner has not yet stepped forward to claim the money, but South Carolina is one of several states that does not require winners to publicly come forward and reveal who they are. Winners have 180 days to claim their prize.

A common reason behind winners not coming forward to publicly claim their money is a fear for their safety. A large sum of money could potentially make the winner a target of assault or robbery.

Currently, it is unclear whether the winner is an individual or apart of a group, but residents in South Carolina hope whoever won will donate a portion of the money towards bettering the community.

Besides the large amount of prize money, another unique aspect behind this drawing is the jackpot was won by a single ticket. Typically, winnings are achieved by multiple ticket holders.

Mega Millions officials predicted a record of $1.6 billion in sales. However, ticket sales were lower than expected, causing the total of this prize to reach $1.537 billion.

Powerball tickets are sold at most grocery and convenience stores. Drawings occur every Wednesday and Saturday.