Westfield State University Gets Spooky with Agawam Paranormal

Westfield State University students were given the opportunity to learn ghost hunting 101 with Agawam Paranormal Thursday night, Oct. 25 in Dever Auditorium. The presentation, hosted by RHA, was led by Agawam Paranormal’s founder, Rob Goff Sr., who has been leading the team for twelve years.

Dozens of students were given valuable information from Goff on the ins and outs of ghost hunting. Information ranging anywhere from types of ghosts and spirits, to what the field experience is really like was discussed.

The event piqued the interest of any student with a desire to pursue the paranormal. In fact, many students shared their own paranormal experiences with Goff throughout the event.

“Open up to the possibilities of ‘what if’,” Goff told his audience, as he explained his first ghostly encounter at a young age with his girlfriend’s household ghost. This experience led Goff to his profound interest in the paranormal, which brought him to ghost hunting with his family years later.

The presentation was broken down into several sections, covering the definition of ghost hunting and ghosts, all the way to how students can get involved in their own paranormal research. Goff even included a reference to ghosts present on campus, briefly alluding to Scanlon hall, much to student displeasure.

Throughout the night, Goff used a wide variety of mediums such as EVP recordings and videos to present his evidence to the students. However, Goff stressed that his team can never be conclusive in their findings.

Agawam Paranormal is one of dozens of ghost hunting teams, with big names such as Ghost Hunters and Ghost Adventures being household terms.

“This is not something you can get into overnight,” Goff responded when asked if he had a any advice for budding paranormal investigators. He cited his own lifelong passion for the field, and the resources that go into it. 

Goff then stressed the importance of putting those in paranormal predicaments first. When people reach out for help with restless spirits, be respectful and try to bring them peace.

Agawam Paranormal is one-hundred percent non-profit. All resources are purchased out of pocket, and all team members are volunteer. The team consists of over twenty people, ranging from psychics, to technicians, to investigators who are often called to examine paranormal cases in Western Massachusetts.

In a survey mentioned by Goff, one third of Americans believe in ghosts, while three-fourths believe in the paranormal, which was evident in the overall intrigue present in students.

Agawam Paranormal hopes to return to WSU in the spring with a follow up presentation for students.