Potential for Big SGA Meeting This Tuesday

The Student Government Association (SGA) has a big meeting this Tuesday, 4/9 regarding President Ramon S. Torrecilha. Torrecilha met with SGA last week to discuss topics highlighted by his plan for the University over the next five years. The Q & A portion of the meeting included his intention to repair relations with faculty. However, the President did not answer the question. 

Faith in the President has diminished over past weeks. It was revealed he distributed large bonuses to individuals in his administration. Although he got the measure passed through the Board of Trustees, the state, and the school’s lawyers to make sure there was no legal issues, many question this action, and believe there were better uses of the money to help the school. In addition, many faculty members have complained about a lack of transparency, and being ignored when calls of concern are brought up. 

The school’s faculty held a vote of no confidence between March 4-6 and resulted almost unanimously against the President. The final tally in the vote was 211 votes of no confidence, 6 votes of confidence, and 2 absent.

The Board of Trustees has stood behind Torecillha despite this vote, which seems to be overwhelmingly against him. For more information regarding the entirety of the vote and more about the President, check out Joey Newlin’s article. 

The SGA meeting last week had potential for some big changes, but decisions were postponed to this week.

SGA has wanted to stand neutral, but members have wanted to push for a stance regarding the President. Some suspect that there could be another Vote for No Confidence or Confidence. 

2021 Class President, Joey Joyal, has been openly critical of the President, citing his lack of communication and transparency as his major concerns. “We are tired of being told about changes on campus that without being actively involved in the decision process, for example look at the Reslife and college restructuring. These are things that affect students financially, academically and their overall campus experience,” said Joyal.

Joyal predicts there won’t be a vote of no-confidence next week. He seems to believe SGA may list out their grievances and send the Board of Trustees a letter. 

Many faculty and students have voiced their frustrations and want changes over the course of the semester. However, it should be known the last two presidents both received votes of no confidence as well. This vote ended their tenure with the school, citing similar issues.

Ultimately, it is up to the Board of Trustees whether the President keeps his position. As of now, they are backing him, but a lot can change after this Tuesday if the representatives of the students also agree that they don’t believe in him.