Untimely Death of Westfield State Student

Saturday, 9/7, Westfield State students received the tragic news that a student had passed away on campus earlier that day. The news came via email from WSU President Torrecilha who expressed his condolences to the family and friends of the deceased student. 

The student was found in a residence hall, and remains unidentified to the public. The cause of death is still unknown, but an active investigation is underway. Let it be known there is no threat to the university.

At this time, students, faculty and staff are encouraged to utilize on-campus counseling. Afternoon counseling sessions have been made available from 1-5pm in the Unity Room in Ely all week, excluding Wednesday.

Evening counseling sessions are being held in the Loughman Living Room through Friday, 9/13 from 8pm to 12am. Counseling after midnight through Tuesday, 9/10 can be conducted through Public Safety at 413-572-5262.

Just as well, students can schedule a same-day appointment at the Counseling Center in the Lammers Hall Annex from 9am to 5pm. Starting 9/30, students will be given more options to schedule appointments in advance. Visit the Counseling Center’s website for more information: http://www.westfield.ma.edu/student-life/counseling-center

Faculty and staff can take advantage of the AllOne Health Employee Assistance Program available to them. Call 1-800-451-1834 (TYY users, use Relay) to speak in confidence with a counselor.

The Westfield Voice will continue to update this story as more information comes to light.