Westfield Reaches High Risk for Triple E

On Friday September 27, Westfield became high risk for Eastern Equine Encephalitis (Triple E). Triple E is a mosquito-borne illness spread via the bite of an infected mosquito.

Symptoms include high fever, headache, fatigue, nausea/vomiting, and neck stiffness. These can lead to inflammation to the brain, and if not treated properly can lead to death. 

A woman in her 70s from Hampden County was recently announced the 12th official human case of Triple E in Massachusetts, according to the Massachusetts Department of Public Health. This announcement was made only one day prior to Westfield reaching high risk level.

Due to the severity of the situation, the towns of Agawam, East Longmeadow, Longmeadow, Southwick, Springfield, and West Springfield are now considered high risk areas for the virus as well. 

Currently there are a total of three confirmed deaths in Massachusetts caused by Triple E. 

This virus affects more than just humans. Horses, dogs and goats are among some of the animals previously affected. It is important to keep them safe as well.

The high risk of Triple E led WSU to postpone their men’s soccer game against Bridgewater State until Sunday September 29. The men’s soccer won 3-2 in overtime. The change did not affect the mens playing abilities, but it is still important to be safe and cautious while outside.

Precautions to take may include avoiding being outside after dark, and wearing bug spray at night.