Westfield’s Mayoral Debate: An Informative Night for Voters

On Tuesday, Oct. 29, the final two candidates running for Mayor of Westfield participated in a debate held at Westfield State’s Dever Stage. The debate was sponsored by The Republican and The Westfield News, and was moderated by WGBY-TV personality Ray Hershel. Candidates were asked 10 questions over the course of an hour, with a few questions submitted by audience members. 

The two candidates are both alumni of WSU, Westfield Police Captain Michael McCabe ’84 and State Senator Donald Humason ’89. In the preliminary election that narrowed four candidates to these two, Humason narrowly beat McCabe by 104 votes. 

Michael McCade (left) and Donald Humanson (right) shaking hands at the start of the debate
Photo courtesy of Westfield State University

In their opening statements, each candidate discussed their connections to Westfield and what they feel would make them a good mayor. McCabe boasted extensive involvement in city programs, while Humason discussed his personal connection to the community and his previous political experience. 

The debate discussed many issues involving the city of Westfield. One of the first questions asked by the moderators was whether the candidates supported giving tax credits to businesses in order to invite new business to the city. Both candidates supported this proposal, although McCabe suggested limiting the amount of time in which businesses receive tax breaks. 

Candidates were also asked if they were satisfied with how current and past administrations had handled the public health and safety concerns of the city’s water supply. Humason stated that he believes if the current system works, then they should keep it, but if it stops working they may need to rely on surrounding communities for water. McCabe, on the other hand, stated he does not want to rely on other communities to receive water. 

Debate held at Dever Stage

Both McCabe and Humason were also questioned about the relationship between Westfield and WSU, and how they intend on maintaining a positive “town/gown relationship.” McCabe noted he has ideas about implementing a system to monitor off-campus behavior from students, but also emphasized that WSU is a “phenomenally wonderful resource.” Humason agreed, and when asked about WSU, he said “I applaud them for their involvement in our community.” He also noted that maintaining a positive relationship is important at all times. 

The public debate allowed residents of Westfield to get a clear picture of who they will be choosing on Election Day. One attendee, Mark Logan, noted “how much they [McCade and Humanson] agreed on everything.” He went on to say, “I expected conflict, and I didn’t see that at all.” Logan also noted the candidates were “much more well informed” than he had expected. 

The general election for mayor and all other races will be held on Tuesday, Nov. 5.