The Big E is Back!

The Big E logo, 2021. Credits to their instagram: @thebigefair

Come one, come all! Starting Friday, September 17th, through October 3rd, the Eastern States Exposition, also known as The Big E, is coming to town! Located in West Springfield, Massachusetts, this short 20 minute ride from campus is one to check out. For those who may not be familiar with this event you may be asking yourself, “what’s so great about The Big E?” This annual event brings food, rides, games, animals, concerts, and more! From loaded baked potatoes and cream puffs to performances by Machine Gun Kelly and Flo Rida, The Big E has something for everyone. 

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, The Big E was cancelled and it was unsure whether or not it would happen at all this year. While it will be taking place this year, there recently has been an announcement involving the safety of those who intend to visit the fair. According to 22 News Wednesday afternoon, “In a unanimous decision, the West Springfield Board of Health voted 3-0 on Wednesday to implement an in-door mask mandate for the entire town, two days before the Big E.” With more than 1.6 million visitors in 2019, it comes as no surprise that masks have been a topic of discussion during the enjoyment of the exposition.

Be warned: due to the high amount of visitors to The Big E, traffic does get very heavy, especially over the weekend. On-site parking is available for $10 (cash only) in Lot 9, but many surrounding houses provide parking in driveways or even big lots, so always keep your eye out!

One of the most quintessential aspects of The Big E, without a doubt, is the amount of food there is to find. Around every corner, in every crevice, and in every building, you’ll find an abundance of food and drinks. The list could go on forever, but notable items include, but absolutely not limited to: deep-fried tacos, apple cider donuts, fried dough, giant pickles, lemonade, and the famous Craz-E-burger, a burger patty topped with two strips of bacon and cheese, all between sliced, glazed donut buns.  

Throughout the time of the fair, surrounding towns are recognized in a parade, and free tickets are given to the students in their respective public schools, including Connecticut Day, Agawam Day, and West Springfield Day. These parades showcase marching bands, cheerleaders, taekwondo groups, and many other groups of people who have a love for their town. 

Grab some friends, bring some masks, and come on down to The Big E! Discover what the fair has to offer, and come back again to experience even more! Whether you’re going to the circus, riding the big yellow slide, or eating some bacon-covered mac-and-cheese, The Big E will be an experience you’ll never forget.