Red Sox Advance to the ALCS

The American League Division Series (ALDS) ended in the best way possible for every fan in New England. 

On Monday, October 11, the Red Sox played the Rays in game four of the ALDS, just one day after playing a whopping 13 inning game, and the Red Sox came back to Fenway ready to win. By the 3rd inning, they were winning 5-0; it appeared to be an easy sweep. But the Rays didn’t give up that easy. After scoring one run in the 5th inning they tied up the game by the 8th. 

Tensions were high in Fenway, Monday night as the top of the ninth came and went with the Red Sox’s defense holding strong and Garrett Whitlock showing off his skills as a pitcher, proving himself as an asset to the team. 

In the top of the ninth Christian Vásquez hit a single putting a runner on base. Christian Arroyo came up second with a bunt that moved Vázquez to second. Bobby Dalbec- who joined the game in inning 8- was expected to bat third but was switched out for pinch hitter, Travis Shaw. 

As Shaw got to first, Vazquez moved to third filling the corners as Kiké Hernández stepped up to the plate. There was a bit of shuffling as they subbed in pinch-runner Danny Santana for Vásquez. 

Two runners on, one out, and this single hit could change the entire game. Hernández hits one straight into left field, moving Santana right on home. Making the score 6-5, Red Sox for the win. 

Starting this Friday, October 15th, the Red Sox will face the Houston Astros in Houston for games 1 and 2, before returning to Fenway Park on Sunday, October 17th for game 3 and the possible game 4.