‘Eternals’: Too Much Harry Hype

Even as a fairly new Marvel fan, I was very excited to head to the theater to see the studio’s newest installment, Eternals. The film, directed by Chloé Zhao, features a team of ten immortal heroes who have been secretly living on earth for thousands of years. It takes place after the events of Avengers: Endgame and involves the Eternals working to save Earth from a group of monsters called Deviants.

Each Eternal has their own power. Some of these include super speed, super strength, flight, and mind control. 

The ten Eternals are Ikaris (Richard Madden), Ajak (Salma Hayek), Sersi (Gemma Chan), Makkari (Lauren Ridloff), Phastos (Brian Tyree Henry), Gilgamesh (Don Lee), Kingo (Kumail Nanjiani), Thena (Angelina Jolie), Druig (Barry Keoghan) and Sprite (Lia McHugh).

The film also stars Kit Harington as Dane, a non-super character who is dating Sersi at the start of the film.

A quick Google search, however, lists Harry Styles as the first cast member. Before the film’s release, there was lots of publicity about the singer and former “One Direction” member starring in the film. However, Styles is not even in the film itself. He is featured for about a minute in the first post-credit scene. 

It’s likely that Styles was used to attract younger fans to go see the film.

Other than this less-than-accurate Google search result, I really enjoyed the film. The intense action scenes typical of Marvel films coupled nicely with scenes featuring important conversations about topics like family, relationships, and fitting in.

The first post-credit scene features Styles as Starfox, aka Eros. Starfox, who also happens to be Thanos’ brother, arrives at the Eternals’ base along with Pip the Troll. He tells Thena and Makkari that two of the other Eternals, Sersi and Kingo, are in trouble and that he knows where to find them.

The film also incorporates interesting historical elements. The characters are shown fighting Deviants in Mesopotamia, Babylon, and Tenochtitlan. 

The film is currently available for viewing in theaters, but it is likely that Disney will add it to their streaming service Disney+ as they have done with other recent releases.