My Internship Experience with Make-A-Wish Foundation

I have always been a small-town girl, and never really explored much. Now being in college, I realized I needed to grow up. I wanted to see what I was capable of because I knew I was bigger than the small town. I was applying to intern at so many places and kept getting rejected repeatedly. However, I never gave up on myself. Make-A-Wish Foundation was the last internship I applied for. When I heard the words come out of my boss’s mouth saying the internship was mine, I wailed like someone who watched The Notebook for the first time.

Make-A-Wish Foundation hired me as their Marketing and Communications Intern. I worked alongside multiple amazing people. I learned about so many new things. I learned how to expand my ideas to take my writing to the next level and new sicknesses I have never heard of before. Seeing children and families conquer through their struggles is very eye opening. I feel like I became more empathic and grateful for all the opportunities in my life.

Picture of all the interns at Make-A-Wish this summer along with employees and CEO.

One big project I worked on was creating a content calendar for the upcoming year. Also, a project another intern and I worked on was the Wish Progress Wall. With this I was able to research children’s wishes and learn how this non-profit works. It is so much more than what you see on television.

Picture of the other Communications and Marketing Intern in front of the Wish Progress Wall.

Everyone on the Communication and Marketing Team has been extremely welcoming and helpful. All of them really pushed me to be the best writer I could be. During this experience, I really gained a new level of confidence– more than just a writer, but as a person. I feel like I communicate better, and I am more affirmative with people. I have expanded my ideas and have put myself in leadership positions that I would never have thought of doing before. Doing an internship was the best thing that has ever happened to me. It gave me an opportunity to have some time in a career field. Internships can build you into the person you never expected to be.